Hopkins Logo




ALL Student Employees may be paid on a Semi-Monthly basis, except those undergraduate students who are paid from federal work-study funds. Graduate Students with federal work-study funding may elect to be paid either semi-monthly OR hourly. Graduate work-study runs from Sept. 1st through May 31st annually.

Resources + Tools

All wage-earning positions must have an hourly rate and 'work schedule' rule. Wages are paid for services rendered and can be paid either hourly or salaried.

A fellowship typically furthers the education and training of the recipient in his or her individual capacity. Fellowships are paid to, or for the benefit of, an individual primarily to aid in the pursuit of study or research. To qualify as a fellowship, the payment must be a relatively disinterested "no strings attached" educational grant with no requirement on the recipient's part to perform substantial services.

Fellowship payments can be made in 1 of 2 ways, either by semi-monthly payroll or by lump-sum payment.

  • If you wish to pay a fellowship payment on a semi-monthly basis you must first create a 'Non-Employee' position followed by an ISR New Hire.
  • If you wish to give a student a lump-sum fellowship payment you can do so using an ISR Bonus Supplement, provided the student has an active position in payroll.

You CANNOT 'Reassign' a Fellowship pernr to a 'Wage' position and vice versa.
You CANNOT pay a taxable lump-sum Bonus Supplement using a Non-Employee pernr.

For more information regarding fellowship payments please check out the following web links. You can also contact the Office of University Experiential Learning at 410-516-8414.

FELLOWSHIP PAYMENTS TO GRADUATE STUDENTS - please note, the information on this page also pertains to undergraduate students who receives a fellowship.

The term "stipend" typically refers to a fellowship but is sometimes used to refer to a salaried (wage) position. If the stipend is a wage-earning position, it must have an hourly rate and work-schedule rule.

PHD & GRAD Students Paid By Stipend:
Students with F-1 and J-1 visas receiving a stipend who wish to undertake additional on-campus employment during fall or spring semester would only be eligible to do so if the position qualifies for Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Please contact OIS at ois@jhu.edu to determine if CPT is necessary. Students requiring CPT need to allow time for the authorization process before beginning their new position.

The following OIS webpage explains the scenario for grad students paid by stipend.
Visit: https://ois.jhu.edu/Students/Current_F1_Students/F-1_Training_and_Employment/OnCampus_Employment/

There are two (2) mechanisms to pay Federal Work Study (FWS) in SAP. If the student is paid hourly, the hiring department must indicate on the ISR (Comments Section) the FWS award type and award amount. The hours are paid in CATS. When time is posted, the appropriate split between the department funds and the FWS budget is done automatically. When the FWS award has been reached and/or when the FWS end-date is reached, the hiring department's budget will be automatically charged 100%.

If the student is paid salaried (graduate students only), the hiring department must indicate on the ISR the base pay and labor distribution to indicate the appropriate split between department and FWS budgets. These two figures combined cannot exceed the FWS award.

The first step is to determine the number of pay-cycles based on the total award divided by the semi-monthly salary. For example, $5000 award/$1000 semi-monthly salary = 5 pays. Next, you must determine the amount to be charged to each budget (FWS/Dept.). For example, $1,000 semi-monthly salary / 75% = $750 to the FWS budget (and) 25% = $250 to the department budget. Both budget lines must be included on the ISR. For this example, the start and end dates will extend over 5 pays. NOTE: Federal Work Study cannot be paid using the ISR Bonus Supplement form as there is no mechanism in place to track the work commitment nor the FWS funds.

When students reach their maximum FWS allocation, all hours submitted for earnings in excess of the student's FWS award will automatically be charged 100 percent to the hiring department for the original period authorized on his/her ISR Form.

Monitoring FWS Earnings: It is the employer's and employee's responsibility to ensure that the student does not exceed his/her FWS award limit.

The following information correlates to the Federal Work Study Z-Code Chart for Homewood students (i.e., ASEN).

The FWS/Department Budget SPLIT is:
- Traditional (FWS): 75% Federal budget / 25% Employer budget
- Community Service: 90% Federal budget / 10% Employer budget
- America Reads: 100% Federal budget

ISR Examples
Undergraduate Student Paid Hourly with FWS - Use this same example to pay a Graduate student hourly.
Graduate Student Paid Salaried with FWS - Undergraduates using FWS must be paid hourly.

Occasionally it is necessary for the Office of Student Financial Services (SFS) to reduce a student's Federal Work Study (FWS) award. Upon notification of an award reduction, the employer should re-evaluate the student's work schedule to make sure hours are not assigned that would bring student earnings in excess of the adjusted award amount.

In a case where the student has already exceeded the reduced award, the hiring department will automatically be charged 100% of all excess earnings.

Any adjustments to a student's financial award, increase or decrease, are authorized by SFS and the employer is notified immediately once University Experiential Learning has been alerted by SFS.

For students with Federal Work-Study who will continue to work in the same department/same job either between academic years (or) if you hired the student non-FWS and they now have FWS (within the same year). You must submit an FWS Job Continuation Form. Please note: If the hourly rate of pay is different from what currently exists in SAP, you must also submit an Employment Action (EA) Salary Change.

For students who will continue to work in the Same Department - Same Job using work-study, either between academic years (OR) if you hired the student non-FWS and are changing 'to' FWS (within the same year), you will not complete an ISR.

Instead, we have created an electronic form for your convenience that allows you to update the student's payroll information in SAP using the new FWS Job Continuation Form (JCF)

Example Scenarios:

  • Student/s with FWS worked for your department last academic year and is returning this year to the same job. The JCF will automatically apply the new FWS to the position.
  • You hired a student during the summer non-FWS and plan to continue their employment through the fall. The student informs you that they have FWS for the academic year. The JCF will automatically apply the FWS to the position.

However, if the hourly rate of pay you enter is different from what currently exist in SAP, you MUST also submit an Employment Action (EA) Salary Change.

  • Undergraduate students receiving FWS must be paid on an hourly basis.
  • FWS monies do not carry over from one academic year to the other.
  • FWS awards cannot be credited to a student's tuition account; a paycheck is issued to the student.
  • FWS monies may be subject to tax withholding.

Full-time Johns Hopkins University students who receive a salary or wage from the university may work no more than 19.99 hrs per week during periods of enrollment. Hours worked at multiple jobs concurrently count toward the weekly limit.

The standard university work schedule is 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. For payroll purposes, the standard work week consists of seven days, 12:01 a.m. Monday through midnight the following Sunday.

  • For student workers over 18 years of age, breaks of 20 minutes or more are unpaid. Breaks of less than 20 minutes must be paid. There is no legal requirement to provide a break during a work shift. However, for students who work 6 consecutive hours or more in one day, we strongly recommend that they be granted a 30 minute lunch break.
  • Student workers under 18 years of age are considered minors and must receive a 30 minute break for every five consecutive hours of work.

In other case, if a student works during a scheduled break, the entire break is considered time worked, and must be paid and included in the sum of hours worked during the work week. This is especially important to remember during intersession and summer break.

During periods of non-enrollment, students are allowed to work full-time. As a result, any hourly paid student who works in excess of 40 hrs per week is required by law to receive overtime at time and a half pay.

How is overtime calculated?
For example: If the student works early in the week for one department and later in the week for another, the 2nd department has the hours over 40 and the overtime. In a case where the student works 5 hours a day for two separate departments simultaneously, the departments would share.

During periods of non-enrollment (i.e. summer, winter vacation, and intersession), as well as spring and thanksgiving break, student employees may work up to 40 hours per week. However, students may not begin working more than 19.99 hours until the Monday after the posted final exam period. This date can be found on the university's Academic Calendar.

Students who work for the university, in a student job classification, are not eligible for paid holiday leave. If a student works on a holiday, they are to be paid their standard hourly wage/salary.

In keeping with the Fair Labor Standards Act, all female faculty, staff and student-employees who breastfeed their child will be provided reasonable break times to express milk throughout the day. Review the complete Policy for nursing mothers.

Effective February 20, 2023, TimesheetX will be the only accepted form of weekly timesheet submissions for hourly-paid and full-time enrolled student employees at all schools and business centers. All other forms of time keeping and entering will no longer be accepted for payment.

Visit TimesheetX Resource Center

To be fair to everyone, University Experiential Learning must work/approve ISRs and EAs that are submitted to us by our posted deadline BEFORE we can focus on late documents or documents for later pay cycles/deadlines. Approved Employment Actions will not upload on the day of payroll run or two business days prior to payroll run. These Actions will be held for payroll and automatically uploaded after the payroll has been finalized. The initiator will see HRSS as the status or owner on their Dashboard for these Actions. This is how the initiator knows the Action is not uploaded yet.

For cutoff dates related to entering hours worked, please visit Payroll Dates & Deadlines page on HR/Payroll Shared Services website.

Mar 15, 2024 Feb 26, 2024
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 11, 2024
Apr 15, 2024 Mar 26, 2024
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 10, 2024
May 15, 2024 Apr 30, 2024
May 31, 2024 May 09, 2024
Jun 14, 2024 May 23, 2024
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 06, 2024
Jul 15, 2024 Jun 20, 2024
Jul 31, 2024 Jul 11, 2024
Aug 15, 2024 Jul 25, 2024
Aug 30, 2024 Aug 09, 2024
Sep 13, 2024 Aug 21, 2024
Sep 30, 2024 Sep 10, 2024
Oct 15, 2024 Sep 25, 2024
Oct 31, 2024 Oct 10, 2024
Nov 15, 2024 Oct 28, 2024
Nov 27, 2024 Nov 07, 2024
Dec 13, 2024 Nov 22, 2024
Dec 30, 2024 Dec 05, 2024

Each division has specific policies and procedures for on-boarding visiting students. For example, visiting student to KSAS & WSE must go through admissions -and- there are separate processes for visiting undergraduates versus graduates. Whereas, visiting students to HSA are not required to complete the admissions application -and- undergraduates/graduates are processed in the same manner.

Depending on which division is hiring the student determines which of the following on-boarding processes you must follow:

  1. In order to pay a visiting graduate student, the host/hiring department must create a Visiting Student Position followed by an ISR New Hire form. Be sure to select University Experiential Learning as Approver 2. Also, the dates and salary on the ISR must match the appointment dates/salary exactly as stated in the Visiting Graduate Student Letter. The host/hiring department must also complete and submit a copy of the Visiting Graduate Student Letter to University Experiential Learning. This letter must be emailed to stujob@jhu.edu before the visiting graduate student can be approved for payroll. A template of the above mentioned letter can be found at http://gradresources.jhu.edu/admissions-office-procedures/visiting-student-process/visiting-student-templates/. If you cannot access this link please contact Christine Kavanagh @ christinekavanagh@jhu.edu (or) Renee Eastwood @ rseitz5@jhu.edu
  2. For payroll purposes, the Visiting Graduate Student Letter is universal. It can be used not only for new hires, but for extensions, revisions, and/or to pay a supplement.
  3. All Visiting Graduate Students/Scholars MUST be registered each semester they are here. The course number is: AS/EN 990.890 "Graduate Research Practicum".
    • The processing procedures for Visiting Graduate Students/Scholars can also be found on the ASEN Grad and Postdoc Administrator Resources site:http://gradresources.jhu.edu
  4. Finally, visiting students must complete the I-9/EVerification. Also, tax forms may be required depending on the type of money paid (i.e., Wage vs. Fellowship).

  1. In order to pay a visiting undergraduate and/or high school students, the host/hiring department must create a Visiting Student Position followed by an ISR New Hire form. On the ISR, be sure to select University Experiential Learning as Approver 2. Also, the dates and salary on the ISR must match the appointment dates/salary exactly as stated in the Visiting Student Application.
  2. A copy of the Visiting Student Application must be sent to stujob@jhu.edu before the student will be approved for payroll; this form is sent to us by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

For payroll purposes - University Experiential Learning MUST receive a copy of the Visiting Student Application form, including the "Office Use Only" section signed by the hiring department.

  1. Visiting exchange students are coursework undergraduate students. They should be considered the same as regular undergraduate hires and do not need to submit an application.
  2. Upon an offer of employment the student should report to the Office of International Services in order to obtain an approval letter to work up to 19.99 hours per week.
  3. For hiring purposes the student must be hired using a "Visiting Exchange Student" position. The home school where the student is registered should be listed in the comments section of the hire ISR.
  4. Visiting Exchange Students must complete the I-9/E-Verification and required tax forms within 3 days of their first day of work.

  1. All visiting interns, who will be compensated, must be paid salaried. No hourly wages.
  2. Prior to the student arriving on campus, the HSA Visiting Intern Appointment Form must be signed by the student, hiring department admin, and hiring department dean.
  3. The ISR New Hire, in conjunction with the HSA Visiting Intern Appointment Form , must be submitted to University Experiential Learning prior to the students first day of work.
  4. The hiring department must instruct the intern to schedule an I-9 appointment https://hr.jhu.edu/i9/ and ensure that the I9 has been completed within 3 days of the students first day of employment.
  5. For hiring purposes, the intern must be hired using a "Visiting Student" position. The hiring department may use any appropriate job title they choose.

  1. For visiting graduate students to departments that fall under MSE, or ACC, the Office of University Experiential Learning must receive a Visiting Student Appointment Letter which has been approved by the appropriate Dean or Provost, per division. For example: Dean of Sheridan Libraries for MSE, etc.
  2. The appointment letter must include the name of the college or university where the student is currently registered (full time), the defined period of the appointment, salary/wage, and the purpose for the visit.
    • For example: John Smith, a full-time graduate student at Yale will be here 6/1 - 8/15 working with the Career Counseling as a Summer Intern in order to fulfill his academic professional experience requirements. His salary for the period will be $2500.
  3. Finally, all visiting students must complete the I-9/EVerification. Also, tax forms may be required depending on the type of money paid (i.e., Wage vs. Fellowship).

For Homewood students, the Bonus/Supplemental Employment Action should be used when processing a recurring payment, or additional payment. A Salary Change Employment Action should be used for a payroll deduction.

If you wish to give a student a one-time lump sum Fellowship payment, you can do so by submitting a Bonus Supplement Employment Action. In this case, it is not necessary that the student has a Non-Employee position; it can be paid using either an existing Non-Employee position -OR- a 'taxable' position. However, the reverse does NOT apply. You CANNOT pay a taxable lump-sum Bonus Supplement using a Non-Employee PERNR.

Note: Please do not use Wage Type 3017 for Bonus Supplement Payments unless providing exact dates, number of hours and rate of pay for Supplemental Work, as well as note as to what Supplemental Project work was completed. If not providing these specifics, please use Wage Type 3055 (notes are required to submit EA).

IMPORTANT NOTE - If you wish to pay a student on a recurring basis for more than 6 pay-cycles (3-months), we ask that you please process a New Hire ISR to properly hire the individual into a student position. Recurring Payments for less than 6 pay cycles/3 months still require Notes in regard to Payment details/Supplemental Project.

The dollar amount of the monetary thank-you is based on the student's year of study; undergraduate notetakers will receive $25 per credit hour, graduate notetakers will receive $50 per credit hour. The method for payment will depend on the student's enrollment status (school) and citizenship/residency status - please see below.

Method of Payment:

Homewood ODS: Homewood notetakers who are enrolled in the class, will receive a monetary thank-you through Petty Cash Voucher. Homewood is the only campus with a cash window. Should it be necessary for Homewood to hire a student who is not enrolled in the class (non-volunteer), the position will be posted through University Experiential Learning and the student will be hired/paid through University payroll. Hours will be tracked and entered into CATS.
Non-Homewood ODS: Notetakers in all other JHU schools will receive a debit card at the end of the semester, once the course has ended. This is regardless of the student???s status in SAP and includes U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident (LPR) & Resident Alien.
Nonresident Alien: The following applies to all JHU schools. A monetary "thank you" paid to a non-employee who is a nonresident is subject to withholding and is reportable on Form 1042-S. In order to facilitate this required withholding and reporting, nonresident payments must be processed through University payroll. For specific instructions, each school???s ODS should contact their divisional Human Resource Office; for Homewood students, please contact the Office of University Experiential Learning.

When the hiring department submits an Off-Cycle Payment Request to PRSS for a student employee they MUST be sure to verify that the ISR New Hire form has been approved by the Office of University Experiential Learning.

Assuming that the ISR in question missed the deadline posted by University Experiential Learning for a particular pay date, please note that late documents are not worked/approved out-of-sequence. To be fair to everyone, University Experiential Learning must work/approve ISRs that are submitted to us by our posted deadline BEFORE we can focus on late documents. This includes late documents with an Off-Cycle Check Request. In short, this means that your ISR will not be processed immediately (current pay cycle), but will be processed prior to the next pay date.

For more information, visit HR Shared Services/Payroll Processes

If students have lost their paycheck, had it stolen, or have not cashed their check within the 120-day limit, they must complete the Stop Payment/Re-Issue Check Request form to have the check reissued.

Homewood Students (WSE & KSAS)
The completed form must be submitted to the Office of University Experiential Learning. The expected turn-around time can be up to 7 days.